The phone rings and the news on the other end of the line is troubling. The company announces another round of cutbacks and the news about the status of your job is troubling. At a routine appointment, the doctor says something troubling has been discovered and more tests are needed.
Life hits with unpredictable predictability, which means troubling circumstances will hit at some point and it’s never certain when that point in time will be. Troubling circumstances can even have the potential to become crushing circumstances – but they don’t have to.
In part 1 (Crushing Circumstances) of CCC’s Troubled series, a guy named Job in the Bible experienced troubling circumstances. Through his story, the value of wise counsel and convictions connected to how troubling circumstances and be troubling but don’t have to become crushing.
- What type of circumstances would you describe as “troubled”?
- How can troubled circumstances evolve into crushing circumstances?
- What do you think it means when Job is described as “blameless”?
- How do you think you would respond to the type of news Job received?
- Why do you think Job’s wife encouraged him to “curse God and die”?
- How do you respond to Job’s statement to his wife about accepting both good and bad from God?
- Do you believe God causes bad things to happen to good people? Why or why not?
- Why might Job have reached his breaking point & questioned God is his troubled circumstances (chapter 30)?
- In what ways have you questioned God in troubled circumstances?
- Why did God address Job with things of nature attributed to God’s doing?
- How does our perspective on troubled circumstances change when we accept we don’t fully understand the things of God?
- What next steps will you take to embrace and trust who God is?
Job was a man of complete integrity – blameless in the way he lived. When life hit with troubling circumstances, he found a way to keep them from crushing him. Job allowed himself to be honest about who God is, but also honest with God about how he felt in the midst of troubling circumstances. What Job was able to do is still possible today no matter what circumstances are encountered.
Today is Monday – make it a day where you embrace and trust who God is in the midst of whatever circumstances you are experiencing.