When God created the earth and everything in/on it, he declared it “good.” After God added humankind to creation, he declared it “very good.” Humankind is the only part of creation that was created in the image of God. Every person bears the image of God and also bears great value. Simply put, people matter to God.
Yet, there was a moment in history that led to many more moments in history when “people matter to God” would be put to the test. There was a moment in history when “God loves people just as they are but too much to leave them there” would become an addendum to “people matter to God.”
There was a moment when humankind made a decision that would alter all of creation and relationship with God. This moment and the fallout were the focus of part 2 (Different Matters) of CCC’s Why What Matters series.
Take a few minutes to read Genesis 2:15-17; 3:1-24 and the next step of considering the following questions about a moment in history that changed everything.
- What is your favorite fruit?
- What is your least favorite fruit?
- Why might God have said not to eat from the tree in the middle of the garden?
- Why might God have clearly communicated the consequences for eating the fruit from that tree?
- How did the serpent cast doubt on the parameter God established about the fruit of the tree?
- How did the woman misrepresent God’s command to them? How do people do this today?
- What did the serpent say to deceive the woman in direct contradiction to what God had said?
- What do you think convinced the woman and man to eat the fruit from the tree?
- In what ways were there eyes opened when they ate the fruit? In what ways were there eyes opened differently than the serpent had promised?
- Why do you think the man and women hid from God?
- Why do you think God was still searching for them even though they disregarded his parameters?
- What do you think of the consequences God implemented to the serpent, woman and man?
- How does God making clothes for them show that he l loves them as they are but too much to leave them that way?
- What next steps will you take to understand, embrace and share God’s love?
In the aftermath of the decision of humankind to focus more on what was prohibited than what was permitted, it would be easy to understand if God would have simply walked away from them or even decided to completely start over. But that’s not what he did. Instead, God pursued humankind to restore relationship and position them to succeed despite their decision to step outside of his parameters (though it was certainly not without consequence).
The decision made by humankind was made out of doubt, deceit, and being duped. People today still encounter each of these issues – some even to the point they are convinced to step outside of God’s parameters or walk away from relationship with God altogether.
People still matter to God – all people! God loves people just as they are but too much to leave them there.
Today is Monday – make it a day where you understand, embrace and share that God loves people just as they are but too much to leave them there.