In 2012, Walt Disney Pictures released a movie titled, Wreck It Ralph. The main character of the movie is a character named Ralph, who goes around leaving various degrees of destruction and wreckage behind him. Another character in the film is Fix-It Felix, Jr. who seems to be able to fix just about anything. However, one thing he cannot fix is the sense of regret and shame Ralph can’t eem to get past.
Life is more than a video game or movie – but there are people who can’t seem to get past a sense of guilt, regret and shame just like Ralph. There are a lot of different avenues and attempts to fix it, but often those fall short of removing the guilt and shame of things done that cant’ be undone.
Part 5 (Fix It) of CCC’s Starting Point series uncovered a solution to the guilt and shame that often hangs around life. Interestingly enough, the solution is not a “what” but a “who”!
Take a few minutes to read John 1:19-34 and consider the following questions about what’s been done for things done that can’t be undone.
- What is something you’ve done you wish you could undo but laugh about now?
- What do you think John meant when he said someone “stands among you” to the Jewish religious leaders? Who do you think he was referring to?
- Why do you think the Jewish religious leaders didn’t recognize who was among them?
- What are some reasons people don’t see the solution to guilt and shame even when it is among them?
- What are some ways guilt and shame hang around and impact our lives? Why are they so hard to shake or move beyond?
- Why was it important for John the Baptist to draw the attention to Jesus?
- What do you know/understand about the Jewish sacrificial system?
- Why does sin require a payment? Are there ways you have tried to “pay” for your own sin that haven’t removed the guilt and shame?
- How does Jesus taking away the sins of the world connect to your life? How might Jesus taking away your sin also take away guilt and shame?
- What next steps will you take to trust Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world (including yours)?
Guilt and shame can hang around in life and remind us of things we’ve done we wish we could undo but can never undo. But they don’t have to! Instead, because of what Jesus has done to take away the sins of the world, the things that hang around in life about things we’ve done can serve as reminders of God’s love, grace, and forgiveness – if we place our trust in what Jesus has done and let them.
Today is Monday – make it a day that you move toward trusting Jesus who has done what you can never do for yourself.