Lights, Camera, Christmas! Have you ever heard of the TV show, The Great Christmas Light Fight? If so, did you know “Lights, Camera, Christmas” was the intended title for the show when it was in development? If not, it’s a TV show that airs the first 3 Mondays of December featuring families or groups whose elaborate Christmas light displays are judged based on 3 different categories: use of light, overall design, and Christmas spirit.
Imagine if one of the judges showed up at one of the light displays to discover it was not turned on or even plugged in. There would be no light and the judges would quickly render a decision. Now imagine a light that was fully plugged in and turned on but was quickly judged and dismissed.
This second light isn’t just an imagination. Instead it’s the light of the first Christmas – the baby Jesus who came into the world to redeem sin and restore right relationship with God. As was discovered in part 2 (On or Off) of CCC’s Christmas Lights series, Jesus is referred to as the “true light” – and as such leads us in the right direction and away from danger. The choice we make is whether to plug into and turn on that light in the decisions we make about what we believe and do.
Take a few minutes to read about this “true light” in John 1:6-18 and the next step of considering the following questions about turning the light of Christmas on or off.
- Do you put Christmas lights inside, outside, both or neither?
- Why is it important to sometimes have someone lay the groundwork to prepare people for something upcoming? How did John the Baptist serve this purpose?
- What do you think it means that John the Baptist was preparing the way for the “true light”?
- If you can envision the idea of a false light, how might such a light point the wrong direction and into danger?
- What do you see as the significance that Jesus came into the very world he created?
- Why do you think the world didn’t recognize Jesus as the “true light”? What are some ways people don’t recognize him today?
- Despite the mystery of it, what significance do you see in Jesus taking on the form of a human being?
- What do you think it means that Jesus made his home among us?
- How would you describe “unfailing love”? In what ways would your life be better because of “unfailing love”?
- How would you describe “unfailing faithfulness”? In what ways would your life be better because of “unfailing faithfulness”?
- What gracious blessings have you received from Jesus?
- What next steps will you take to plug in & turn on?
There is a mystery about Jesus being God and taking on the form of a human being. But what it means is that he experienced everything human beings experience but in a radically different way. He was able to navigate all those experiences with perfection – full of unfailing love and faithfulness.
Why would Jesus choose to be born a baby on the first Christmas? Because God loves us just as we are but too much to leave us there. Jesus came as the “true light” to lead us into right relationship with God and steer us away from danger.
Today is Monday – make it a day that you plug into and turn on the true light of Christmas!