In many circles of our society, there are conversations from all different angles about the value of people. Who matters and who doesn’t? Why does one group matter and one group doesn’t? It’s actually a pretty crazy conversation – especially in the backdrop of the creation account found in the Bible.
What we find in the creation account (and really throughout the entirety of the history of relationship between God and human beings) is that people matter. God was very intentional and strategic in the design of creation, and he declared it “good.” But when he created human beings, he did things uniquely and then he declared creation “very good.” Creation became “very good” with the addition of human beings because people matter to God.
One of the core values at CCC is, “People matter to us because people matter to God” and was also the focus of part 1 of the Why What Matters series (download and listen here).
Take a few minutes to read Genesis 1:1-2:25 and the next step of considering the following questions about how and why people matter to God.
- What do you believe about the creation of the world?
- What do you believe about God’s role in the creation of the world?
- Why do you think the world was created?
- How does the design God showed in creating reveal how much all of creation matters to God?
- How does the creation account differ with human beings than the rest of all creation?
- How does this difference reveal a unique relationship between human beings and God?
- What do you think it means to be created “in God’s image”?
- How does God giving human beings the responsibility to tend and watch over the Garden of Eden reflect how much people matter to God?
- How does God giving human beings the responsibility to rule over the rest of creation reflect how much people matter to God?
- Do you think people still matter to God as much now (and throughout history) as they did at creation? Why or why not?
- How should how much people matter to God impact how much people matter to us?
- Are there people you believe don’t matter to God? To you?
- What next steps will you take to make sure people matter?
Being made in the “image of God” is a big deal! And, in all of creation, it was only human beings that are made in God’s image. God made people in his image because people matter to him. Every person matters to him. Every person bears his image. Every person should matter to us!
Today is Monday – make it a day where you make sure people matter!