The root system of a tree serves three crucial functions: provides stability, absorbs water and nutrients, and deters soil erosion. A healthy root system is crucial for the growth and even survival of a tree.
Being deeply rooted in right thinking and relationship is also crucial for a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. This type of growth is the second step of CCC’s strategy in providing a clear, simple and straightforward path to become a wholehearted follower of Jesus Christ. This type of growth was the focus of part 2 (Step 2) of CCC’s Principle of the Path series. When it comes to growth, it’s wise to be on an effective path.
Take a few minutes to read Colossians 2:6-10 and the next step of considering the following questions about growing in relationship with God, others, and the world around you.
- What is your favorite tree? Why?
- What do you think makes a healthy tree?
- How does direction not intention determine destination (principle of the path)?
- Why is it important for a tree (or plant) to be properly and deeply rooted?
- In what ways can the root system of a tree be compared to the root system of a relationship?
- Why is it important for a relationship to be rooted deeply to grow and survive?
- How does this root system analogy connect specifically to a growing relationship with Jesus Christ?
- What do you think it meant by empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense?
- Are there philosophies you thought would be fulfilling but eventually found to be empty?
- How would you describe the difference between human thinking and Jesus thinking?
- What do you think it means that Jesus was the fulfillment of God in a human body? What difference does that make for you personally?
- How might deep roots and right thinking lead to a more effective and thankful life?
- What next steps will you take to grow in relationship with God, others, and the world around you?
A tree being deeply rooted is crucial for its growth and even survival. A follower of Jesus being deeply rooted in right thinking about who God is and what God desires is equally crucial. One of the most fascinating things about the root system of a tree is the impact it has on the things around it. A healthy tree root system is one of the most effective deterrents of soil erosion. A healthy tree root system helps stabilize the surrounding trees. A healthy tree root system not only goes deep but also spreads wide to offer additional stability and benefit to its surroundings.
Perhaps this is a great analogy for how followers of Jesus should impact what surrounds them as well. Perhaps deeply rooted followers of Jesus should provide stability, deter erosion, provide support and spread wide to others around.
At CCC, “Grow” is step 2 along the path of becoming a wholehearted follower of Jesus Christ. It’s all about growing in relationship with God, others and the world around us. There are tools provided every week to help people grow – next step conversation guides, Monday emails, this Monday Move blog, and small group environments. It’s all about helping people grow in relationship with God, others and the world around them.
If we are going to grow, we have to want to grow, make the decision to grow, and take the necessary steps to grow – including implementing personal practices and placing ourselves in environments conducive to growth.
Today is Monday – make it a day where you grow in relationship with God, others, and the world around you!